looking for a few good ideas

  amongst the irregular verbiage

Driving back to Vegas

We woke up this morning after another troubled sleep. From the 15th floor it seemed as though the Sun was having trouble getting up as well, the buildings around the central business district were lit up in a very half-hearted way. Looking down we could see some people sitting in the hot tub down on the lower roof level - I wondered if they'd been there all night?

After a shower we got dressed, packed, and went downstairs to check out. Lisa attended to the details while I went and got us coffee and a bagel from Einstein Bros.

After sitting for a while in the crisp air and morning sun, we decided that we *would* try and visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West compound after all. It'd be a shame to miss it, seeing as we really didn't know when we were going to be back here in Phoenix.

We drove East, then North on the 101 loop and exited at Cactus Road, which just kept going East... until eventually it hit Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. We figured we were in the right place. In fact, straight across from us was the sign for Taliesin West, complete with double-spiral logo.

We arrived in time for the 10:00 am "Insights" tour. We took lots of pictures. It's a fascinating place...

At about 11:30, got back on the road, took 101 loop West, then 17 North, then 74 (Carefree Highway) West to reconnect with 60 just south of Wickenburg.

We stopped at Wickenburg to top up the gas tank and for more coffee, another breakfast, and a pit stop. The Two Wheels Cafe had an interesting corridor between the booths and the toilets, through a narrow door and down a passage marked "The Necessary Trail", pasted with cartoons and witty sayings. Beautifully painted doors on the bathrooms.

We headed North on 93 out of Wickenburg. There were many many traffic cops and speed traps. We made an extra attempt to ensure we stuck to the speed limit, as our Nevada license plates made us an easy mark.

It was a pretty uneventful ride home. We stopped again in Kingman to top up with Petrol and we were going to stop for a pot of tea or coffee but the road didn't want to take us past anything interesting so we just kept on driving.

We arrived in Vegas in time for rush hour - hooray - but traffic wasn't too bad and we got home at about 4:45.

The cats were acting weird, and had obviously had an "interesting" time while we were away. Kami was running around in a silly way, and Karma was hiding and refusing to eat any fresh cat food. Later in the evening they both settled down, a bit.  They obviously had got on each other's nerves a bit.